Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 14

It's been two weeks! I can't believe it. Part of me feels like time is flying by, but I also feel like I've been here forever. Not too much to report, I had to go back to St. Paul's yesterday for my History of the Papacy class which was interesting and everything but since we were there for almost three hours on Sunday, it felt like a long class. We did, however, get to see this time the garden in the back which is where the Benedictine monks go for their contemplative prayer which was beautiful amidst the hustle and bustle of the city. The walls were filled with pieces from ancient graves which sounds kind of morbid but the ancient carvings are really cool. Dr. Dawson explained to us how these carvings changed over time and it was interesting to be able to see that. There was also a little museum we got to go in that had to do mostly with the second vatican council, because it's coming up on the fiftieth anniversary I believe. Next week we have class at Santa Maria Maggiore, which is AWESOME because Marie and I can pretty much roll out of bed and because I'm really interested in learning more about this church, it's so beautiful. Speaking of Santa Maria Maggiore, Maria told us a few nights ago that the bell we hear every night at 9 pm is called La Campana della Sperduta, or the bell of the lost girl. Apparently, a long long time ago this area used to be all woods and a girl went into the woods and never came out, so the bells we hear every night are for "the lost girl". Pretty cool.

After class at St. Paul's, Marie and I went to go find some lunch around the Spanish Steps before Italian. We ended up eating at this little place far enough away so that the prices weren't horrendous, and both got fettucine bolognese, which naturally, was amazing. Italian was long, we spent the whole time preparing for our midterms tomorrow (...it's been two weeks...?) and all Marie and I could think about was Maria Grazia's dinner. We rushed home and Maria made spaghetti with pesto, a salad, bread, and a fritatta from the leftover pasta from last night, which Marie and I agreed might be our favorite thing ever. She took the pasta and added sausage and mozzarella and it was insanely good. Marie and I finished Roman Holiday which I loved by the way, and it was so fun to see Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck at all the places we go to every day. Tomorrow we'll study for Italian because all we have is the test at 4 and then meet our friends for dinner! We're going to try a more authentic Italian discoteca tomorrow which should be interesting...

More to come

ciao!

xoxo

No comments: